THE THEATRE UNCUT POLITICAL PLAYWRITING AWARD
In partnership with the Young Vic, Traverse Theatre and Sherman Theatre.
Finding the next generation of political playwrights that want to explore the big issues that affect our lives today.
The writer of the winning play will receive an award of £9,500.
Submissions will open on 1st September 2018 and close 1st November 2018.
A longlist of 30 play will be read by Theatre Uncut Artistic Directors Hannah Price and Emma Callander. A shortlist of 10 plays will then be read by the Artistic Directors of the partner venues Kwame Kwei Armah (Young Vic), Rachel O'Riordan (Sherman Theatre) and Orla O'Loughlin (Traverse Theatre) and the winner judged by the panel of the above with invited guests (to be announced soon).
- The Theatre Uncut Political Playwriting Award is open to writers based in the UK only.
- You don’t have to have been born in the UK, just currently live in the UK.
- There is no age restriction.
- There is no minimum level of experience.
- We are looking for original stories, not adaptation or translation.
- This award is for plays longer than 60 minutes in length, so at least 40 pages or 9,000 words.
- The play must not have received public production of any kind (public readings not included).
- The play must be written for stage.
- We are looking for new voices that haven’t yet had many opportunities to have their work produced by a professional company or venue so we are are accepting plays from writers who have had no more that two plays presented as full production runs (by which we mean runs longer than 3 weeks).
- What do we mean by ‘political’? We mean stories that explore society. We want to hear what political means to you.